Our History

Chartered in 1948, the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Laguna Beach (UUFLB) is the state’s second oldest fellowship.  Within the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA), a fellowship is usually a smaller congregation (smaller than a church) or one with a more informal type of congregational organization. Starting small, fellowship members were nonetheless always a force for open-mindedness in Laguna Beach and the surrounding areas.  We were especially active during the challenging days of McCarthyism in the 1950s.

Over the years we often met in homes and in several other venues in our community, but always with the hope of finding a permanent space. In 1973 the dream came to fruition when we purchased our current building at 429 Cypress Drive from St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. In 1988 we were fortunate enough to be able to pay off the mortgage. Another milestone came in 2002 when we employed a full-time minister for the first time. We continue to offer not only Sunday worship, but also a forum for discussing justice issues of concern to the broader community.

To this day, fellowship members continue to be active in civic organizations, and pursuing social justice for everyone.  In 2013, we celebrated our 65th anniversary as a UUA congregation.